Fish in white sauce recipe
Fish in white sauce recipe is a delicious delicate chunks of fish, simmered in creamy luxurious white sauce , made with wholewheat flour.
Hello people…. Hope u r having a fun day.. Finally the sun has shown, but chilly it still is .
Winters!!!! now I really really want some sun and warmth.. Cant really do anything about the weather though… so thought why not cook something to make the mealtime cozy. So I decided to make Fish in white sauce.
Originally this recipe is a part of the French cuisine, but this is a very famous dish in India .Most of the restaurants and hotels serving fish , have this as a pert of the menu. We have many versions of this recipe, but the one below is what I have had since my childhood. This one is my mum’s version and I loved having this every-time it was cooked.Even now when I go home , she makes this for me.
Traditionally white sauce requires using all purpose flour/ Maida/ refined flour to make the sauce nice white and creamy, but in this recipe I have adapted this using whole wheat flour, to make a healthier version.Using all purpose flour gives it an off white colour, but using wholewheat flour does make it a little darker, more beige to be precise.But the taste is really good with the wholewheat flour as well.If you want you can use all purpose flour. The qty remains the same.
I hope you enjoy cooking it and serving this to your family as much as I do.
If you try this recipe, please rate it by clicking the stars below. And don’t forget to like , share the recipe and tag us on Instagram or Facebook using #frombowltosoul if you like the recipe.Please Comment below for any queries, suggestions and ideas .I would love to hear from you.
Join the “From bowl to soul” mailing list to hear more from us. Sign up here 👇
Fish in white sauce Recipe
- 500 grams fish (cod/ haddock/ any white fish) cleaned and wiped
- 6-8 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced in half moons
- 1 small capsicum thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of White pepper powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp Wheat flour/ all purpose flour/Maida
- 3 cups milk whole or skimmed
- salt as per taste
- dash of White pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg freshly ground
- 1 small bayleaf
- 1 tbsp cream
- parmesan cheese optional
- Heat oil, add garlic. Sauce for 1-2 min till the raw smell of the garlic goes away.
- Add onions and saute for a minute. You do not need to brown the onions.
- Add capsicum and saute for a minute.
- Add fish and cook for 8-10 min (adjust the time depending on the type of fish you are using).
- Add salt and white pepper. Remember the sauce will also have salt and pepper , so add just enough to make sure the taste is balanced across the dish.Once the fish is cooked, keep this aside and prepare the white sauce.
- For the white sauce, on slow heat, in a heavy bottomed pan, heat butter.
- Add the flour in the melted butter, and blend it nicely.
- Stir for 3-4 min till you start noticing a nice aroma from the mixture. Just make sure you do not heat it too much that the flour starts turning brown.
- Now take off heat and start adding milk. Ensure you stir constantly so no lumps are formed.
- Once the flour and milk are mixed , turn on the heat . Add salt, white pepper, nutmeg and bayleaf. Keep stirring and simmer for 5-6 min till the milk starts to boil and then take it off heat. It should be a smooth creamy sauce. Remove the Bayleaf.
- Now add the prepared fish to the sauce and simmer again on hob on slow heat for 2-3 minutes.
- The fish and dish is now ready. Yessss!!!!!! You’ve done it…….
- Garnish this with a dash of cream and coriander and serve.Optional add grated cheese/ parmesan…
- Any kind of bread/ Naan bread or rice is a perfect accompaniment to this fish.
- I used White pepper in the recipe, as I usually use that in white sauce to keep the colour uniform. You can always use black pepper instead.
- Also for authentic white sauce you use all purpose flour, but to make a healthier version I used whole wheat flour, the colour of my fish is obviously not as white !!You can use the all purpose / refined flour to make the white sauce.
Recent recipes on the blog
- Bhindi Masala / Okra Masala Recipe
- Rose and cardamom infused hot chocolate recipe
- Gajrela recipe | gajar ka halwa | Carrot pudding recipe
- Quick tuna tacos with creamy mayonnaise dressing
- Super simple chocolate discs recipe
Pin it for later– If you wish you try this recipe later, click on any of the pictures to pin the recipe.