Whole wheat skillet chocolate chip cookie recipe
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links.I only recommend the products that I know, trust and love.
Whole wheat skillet chocolate chip cookie recipe is a delicious giant cookie , a perfect dessert , a healthy version using whole wheat flour to treat your friends , yourself and your little ones. Believe you me , one bite is not enough, it makes you long for more……
Skillet cookie recipe with chocolate chips 🍪
I know you love it. We all do. Cookies are life, and a giant cookie or call it a Pizza cookie “Pizookie” with whole wheat flour and choco chips is ‘good happy wholesome life’
This one is a healthy ish version using whole wheat flour, instead of using all purpose flour or ‘Maida’.
I use an 8 inch pan and the quantities below are perfect for this size, that serves four. If you are using a small pan , you can use half the qty.
Ingredient suggestions 📝
I have used whole wheat flour, you can use all purpose flour if you want. Using all purpose flour / maida will give you a better texture of course, but taste wise both are as good as they can be.
I used browned butter. Check out how to make browned butter in this post. However if you do not want to do an extra step, you can use the butter as is, without browning it.
You can use salted or unsalted butter to make this cookie. If you are using unsalted butter, do add a pinch of salt in the dry ingredients to perk up the depth of the flavours. In this recipe i used salted butter.
Sugar/ Sweetener 🍯
I used dark brown , natural unrefined cane sugar, you can use regular refined sugar, brown sugar, or you can use maple syrup / honey.
Do consider the consistency of the dough. It should be like a dough- thick and not like a batter- flowing.
If you are using honey/ maple syrup you won’t need to add milk. Keep the qty same as sugar, and adjust as per your taste preference.
Chocolate chips 🍫
You can use store bought chocolate chips , milk or dark chocolate. If you have any chocolate lying at home, you can simply slice that and use instead of getting the chocolate chips.
Making the brown butter (Beurre noisette)-
Melt the butter in a pan on slow heat. It will take 3-4 minutes, and allow the milk solids to separate. The milk solids sink to the bottom , and on slow heat they begin to brown.
Leave it on for another minute and butter starts changing colour . It will brown and becomes a nice hazelnut colour.
Take it off the pan and strain ( or while using make sure to leave the sediments ). Strain it and let it cool. Using brown butter adds a beautiful , nutty flavour to all desserts.
Making the dough for the skillet cookie recipe
Mix the wet ingredients together. Start with adding sugar to the butter and whisk till its creamy. Now add eggs one by one, and mix. Add vanilla extract.
Whisk everything, till it is nice and creamy.Mix the dry ingredients separately- whole wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, or vice versa, and slowly start mixing the dough.If you feel the dough is little dry, add 2-3 tbsp of milk to mix it.
Once the dough is done, add chocolate chips/ chocolate slices and fold well.
Your dough is ready. Try it and it tastes delicious. I would have loved having it raw, if there were no eggs in it , it tastes so very delicious.
Now add the dough to the skillet, spread using a fork or hand. Sprinkle more chocolate chips if you like, and bake.
Baking the Skillet Cookie ♨️
Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.Grease the skillet with oil/ butter and keep aside.
It takes about 15-18 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade / around 350 degrees F to bake this.
Keep checking after 15 minutes and make sure you do not overbake as this needs to be a bit gooey to get that perfect texture, and as it is in a skillet it will cook in its heat even after to you take it out of the oven .
I took it out at exactly at 16 minutes.
Serving suggestions 👩🍳
We love our skillet cookie a little warm , topped with vanilla ice cream scoops, and just scooping the bites from the skillet.
Adding chocolate sauce/ caramel sauce on top, takes this dessert to another level.
You can also serve it with a side of whipped cream and maple syrup or chocolate sauce, if you do not want ice cream. This pan size is good for four people to share.
We had ours left some , and i left it in the skillet. Just warm it a bit in the oven the next day and have it again.
If you try this and like this recipe, please rate it by clicking the stars below. And don’t forget to like , share the recipe and tag us on Instagram or Facebook using #frombowltosoul_ and #frombowltosoul . Please Comment below for any queries, suggestions and ideas .I would love to hear from you.
Join the “From bowl to soul” mailing list to hear more from us. Sign up here 👇
You can shop here
Nutella and raspberry Filo pastry rolls
Cardamom rice pudding/ barnyard millet Kheer
Latest on the Blog
- Aloo gobi matar (Easy traybake Recipe)
- Top travel tips for travelling to Scottish highlands – How to prepare for a perfect family staycation
- Beautiful Scottish highlands – Onich, Fort Williams, and Glen Etive Drive
- How to cook arbi fries / taro chips – Fried and oven baked recipe
- Bhindi Masala / Okra Masala Recipe
Skillet cookie recipe |chocolate chips| whole wheat flour
- oven, Cast iron skillet pan
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup browned butter(softened ) Using brown butter is optional, you can use regular butter. To make brown butter ,check Post or recipe notes
- 2 whole Eggs
- 3/4 cup Sugar/ Sweetener Any sugar/ sweetener of your choice. For qty's check recipe notes.
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2-3 tsp Milk (if required- to adjust consistency)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips/ or chocolate sliced
- A little butter / oil for greasing the skillet
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees . Grease the skillet with oil/ butter and keep aside.
- Brown the butter.Check the notes below.
- Add sugar to the butter and whisk till its creamy.
- Add eggs one by one, and mix.
- Add in vanilla extract.Whisk everything.
- Add the dry ingredients- whole wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder to the wet ingredients.Give everything a good mix.
- Add in milk if you think the consistency is too thick.
- Add chocolate chips/ chocolate slices and fold well.
- Transfer the dough to the skillet, spread using a fork or hand. Sprinkle more chocolate chips if you like.
- Bake for 15 min. It starts leaving the sides once done. Keep it a little undercooked as it has a nice gooey inside then.
- Once done serve warm, topped with cream or ice cream.