Wholewheat Banana and walnuts Bread recipe
This wholewheat banana and walnuts bread recipe is healthy and the most perfect version of the classic banana bread. It is sweet, moist , nutty and flavourful. Have it plain, butter it up, top it with whipped cream, or a scoop of clotted cream and a little jam. Perfect for kids ,as breakfast or as a healthy snack !
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links.I only recommend the products that I know, trust and love.
Wholewheat banana and walnuts bread recipe
Hello Everyone! How are you all doing? It’s such good weather , and we are enjoying it at home, as it is stay at home time .
I have been cooking a lot these days and also trying my hand at baking , and the results have not been bad. Quite impressed with the results. I finally discovered the banana and walnuts bread recipe perfect for me. This is eggless, made with whole-wheat flour and is so moist and delicious.
This recipe is a no egg recipe, and uses milk / yoghurt, so not exactly vegan, but if thats not your concern try this out. It is one of the best banana breads i’ve had . Yeah!!
Ingredients required for the wholewheat banana and walnuts bread recipe
Ripe bananas, Oil / butter, Greek yoghurt ( or milk and lemon juice), Vanilla essence, Any sugar of your choice. I used dark muscovado sugar .
You can use any sugar, coconut sugar or use Shakkar . Shakkar is a great healthy substitute for sugar and i use it a lot in my sweet recipes .
I have added sugar in wet ingredients as i m not adding castor sugar (powdered sugar),so sugar needs to dissolve well in the wet ingredients before we add the dry ones.
You would need whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, Cinnamon powder, and chopped walnuts.
Adding Cinnamon is optional. I love the flavour and it goes perfect with bananas, so i love adding cinnamon to it.If you do not like it , skip adding cinnamon.
In my recipe i used regular Extra virgin olive oil , but you can use coconut oil, or even unsalted butter.
Mixing the ingredients
Mash the bananas really well. Mash it with a masher , or a fork. Add wet ingredients- yoghurt, oil . Mix well.
If you are using milk and lime juice, Add everything to the mashed bananas. Add sugar, and mix everything well.
Once you have the wet batter ready, take a sieve and add all the dry ingredients. Slowly add and start folding in the dry ingredients in the wet batter.
Do not over mix it, like with a blender. Just keep folding in till the batter is smooth like cream and there are no lumps.
Once done add the bowl of chopped walnuts. Fold in the walnuts slowly in the batter.
Now pour the batter in the bowl that has been slightly oiled and dusted with flour, or use a tin liner.
Once you’ve added the batter, just tap the tin to ensure there is no air.Now top with with the halved banana.
Bake it at 180 degrees for about 45-50 minutes. Check it with a skewer , till it comes out clean.
If your top of the cake is done, but its still not cooked from inside, cover the tin with the foil, and keep it back in the oven for another 7-8 minutes checking in between.
Once the bread is done, take it out of the oven and brush it with a little honey / or maple syrup while it is still hot.
Let it cool and serve it with your tea/ coffee.
I topped mine with some whipped cream , maple syrup and chopped walnuts and oh my what a treat it was.
You can just have it as is, or with nutella, jam or plain butter. My daughter loved it as her breakfast with a glass of milk. Tell me how you love your banana bread. I would love to hear back from you.
Some alternatives ingredients that can be used
You can use any sugar, coconut sugar or use Shakkar . Shakkar is a great healthy substitute for sugar and i use it a lot in my sweet recipes .Just use it in place of sugar in this recipe. No alterations needed. You can adjust the qty of shakkar / or any sugar as per the sweetness you prefer.
If you are adding honey / maple syrup , increase the qty of flour by at least 2 tbsp.
You can replace yoghurt with milk. take the same qty as yoghurt, and add lemon juice. Do not add lemon in the milk, but add it separately to the wet batter.
If you do not have baking soda , add lemon instead. Though a mix of baking soda and baking powder give best results, but if you cannot get hold of an ingredient there is always an alternative. In this case lemon helps. Add 1/2 a tsp of lemon instead.
Incase there are any other ingredients you want to replace , ask away in the comments and i will be happy to check and revert.
This is inspired by Lazy Cat kitchen. Her’s is a perfect, vegan gluten free banana bread recipe. If you are on a lookout for the plant based version, check out her recipe here.
Some dessert recipes on the blog-
Granola recipe , Suji halwa, wholewheat pancakes, nutella and raspberry rolls, rose jam rolls, pumpkin halwa, kheer.
If you try this and like this recipe, please rate it by clicking the stars below. And don’t forget to like , share the recipe and tag us on Instagram or Facebook using #frombowltosoul_ and #frombowltosoul . Please Comment below for any queries, suggestions and ideas .I would love to hear from you.
Join the “From bowl to soul” mailing list to hear more from us. Sign up here 👇
- Aloo gobi matar (Easy traybake Recipe)
- Top travel tips for travelling to Scottish highlands – How to prepare for a perfect family staycation
- Beautiful Scottish highlands – Onich, Fort Williams, and Glen Etive Drive
- How to cook arbi fries / taro chips – Fried and oven baked recipe
- Bhindi Masala / Okra Masala Recipe
Wholewheat banana and walnuts bread
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 banana need to top the bread, need not be very ripe,you can slice this in half or chop them into slices
- 1/4 cups Oil/ unsalted butter
- 3/4 cups greek yoghurt check for alternatives in notes above
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar check for alternatives in notes above, (adjust as per taste)
- 2 tsp Honey/ maple syrup to brush on top of the loaf
- 1.5 cups wholewheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda check for alternatives in notes above
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon powder optional
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Oil and dust the bread tin with flour, or line it with a tin liner.
- Mash bananas really well.
- Add wet ingredients- yoghurt, oil .Mix well.
- Add sugar, and mix everything well.
- Add the wholewheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder in a sieve.
- Slowly fold in the wet and dry ingredients.Fold these to make a nice thick batter. Ensure there are no lumps.
- Add in chopped walnuts. Fold them lightly.Top it with half sliced banana.
- Put in a baking dish, bake at 180 degrees for 50 minutes
- Once done, take it out of the oven , brush it with maple syrup/ honey while still hot. Let it cool.