Watermelon pineapple ice lollies recipe
Ice lollies or Popsicle or freezer pops, are the hottest frozen treats in summers. Not only the kids, but the grown ups love it as much.And these are so very easy to make , in hundreds of exotic flavours and are easy to stack at home for weeks , that you really don’t need to add ‘ ice lollies’ to your grocery lists, or wait for the ice cream van to buy these.
Making ice lollies at home, is also a great way to actively involve kids in some creative activities. They will love making ice creams at home. Whipping up all the colourful fruits and drinks ,and waiting for the liquid puree to freeze magically in the fridge is quite enticing and exciting for the kids.Though waiting for the ice creams to freeze in the freezer, is not something that the kids would want to do!!!That is the only thing my daughter hates!! WAITING for the ice cream to freeze or for the cake to bake.But I’m sure this waiting will help her learn the value of patience 🙂
Getting back to the topic, there are number of ways you can mix and match a number of flavourful fruits, and ingredients to make some awesome beautiful ice lollies.
This time I tried making two coloured ice lollies in pineapple and watermelon flavours and my little one just loved these. The best thing about making ice lollies at home is that you can make the ice lolly healthy by adding, fresh fruit juice, or blended fresh fruit, and the sweetener of your choice.Also you can make variations by adding yoghurt, fruit slices, some herbs, and of course there are infinite moulds available to make your lollies look different and more pretty every time.
For the watermelon pineapple ice lollies, you need but of course.. fresh watermelon, and fresh pineapple, a dash of lime juice, and sweetener of your choice.I used sugar this time, but you can use honey, maple syrup, or any other sweetener of your choice.
Making the first layer-
To make the first layer,whisk the watermelon with a little sugar /honey and a 2-3 drops of lemon juice as per your taste. Put it in moulds, so that the moulds are half full, and freeze for 3-4 hours.I wanted to have a diagonal pattern in the lollies, so I kept the moulds at diagonally, in a bread loaf tin,in the freezer. Something like this.If you want a straight pattern, you can keep them straight in the freezer.
Once the half lollies are frozen they will look like this-
Now that the watermelon lolly is ready, whisk some pineapple in a blender, add sugar/honey and a few drops of lemon. Now pour this mix on top of frozen watermelon lollies.
Keep in freezer for 4-5 hours ,till these are completely frozen.This time keep the moulds straight.
Once frozen, take these out of the freezer, and keep at room temperature for a minute.
These will easily slide out of the moulds.
Voila…. Your homemade healthy ice lollies are ready to be served.
Watermelon pineapple ice lollies recipe
- 2 slices fresh cut watermelon
- 3-4 slices/fingers fresh cut pineapple
- 2 tsp sugar / or honey or any sweetener of your choice
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice optional
- Blend a tsp of sugar/ honey, with watermelon slices .
- Add a tsp of lemon juice.You can adjust the qty of sweetener and lemon juice as per your taste.
- Pour the juice prepared in the ice lolly moulds. ensure to fill these just half.
- Freeze in the freezer for 4-5 hours, till watermelon juice is frozen.
- Once done, take out and repeat the above steps with the pineapple.Mix pineapple, honey or sugar and blend.
- Add lemon juice.
- Pour the juice over the frozen watermelon juice.
- Freeze in the freezer for 4-5 hours, till pineapple juice is frozen.
- Once frozen, take these out of the freezer, and keep at room temperature for a minute.Now ,these will easily slide out of the moulds.
- Ta daa...... Your beautiful refreshing healthy ice lollies are ready!!!
- I used sugar as a sweetener, but you can use honey, maple syrup, or any other sweetener of your choice.
- Also if you are using a fruit that is naturally very sweet, you can avoid adding any sugar/ sweetener.
- Adding lemon juice is optional, but it enhances the fruit flavour.If you find it too tangy, you can just add 3-4 drops instead of a tsp of lemon juice.
- The qty above will make approximately 5 small ice lollies. If you want to increase the qty, you can adjust the ingredients qty accordingly.
4 thoughts on “Watermelon pineapple ice lollies recipe”
Its so refreshing
These look great. I love the two toned flavour idea. It’s also a great idea to get the kids involved in making them.
Thank you Sally! Yes, Its a great idea to involve kids as well.