Curry masala veggies and ham frittatas
Curry Masala veggies and ham frittatas, are one of my favourite go to recipes, when i want to cook a quick brunch recipe, or even a quick dinner option. It is healthy, full of veggies, very easy and quick to cook, and above all very filling.
Curry masala/ Curry powder is something so staple in my kitchen, that i use it day and night for so many of my recipes.Indian cooking .. i know cannot be imagined without the spices that go in a curry masala/ powder. So it wasn’t a surprise when i decided to add my curry powder to other cuisines as well.
The experiment did not disappoint me and added so much flavour to other cuisines that i keep trying my hands on. The latest being the frittatas, that i’ve cooked using this spice. The result was absolutely flavour bomb, aromatic , spiced frittatas.
What are frittatas
These are in its most generic terms , the Italian versions of Spanish eggs with potatoes, and very similar to the omelettes we cook in india.The difference being that these do not have potatoes unlike the Spanish omelettes, and the veggies are almost cooked or sautéed before the eggs are added, unlike the indian omelettes, where the veggies are added to the eggs while beating.
So to sum up, these are big fluffy omelettes, with the addition of little milk , cheese, greens and veggies of your choice, and optional addition of any meat.
To read more and in detail about the difference between an omelette and a frittata , read this interesting article, where the difference is explained in detail.
Sharing below, few things that need to be considered while cooking frittatas so that these come out perfectly fluffy , airy, and a nice crispy top-
1.Eggs need to be beaten vigorously, to ensure theres more air in the egg mixture , so the frittatas are more fluffy and rise nicely.
2.Adding a little milk, helps the texture and the taste . But you totally can skip adding milk, if you are avoiding milk, or dairy.
3.Adding a layer of cheese over the cooked veggies/ or added while beating the eggs, adds a lot more flavour to the frittatas. I even top the eggs with a layer of cheese ,once the eggs are half cooked and before transferring the pan to the oven.
5. If you are not using the oven, once the frittatas are half cooked (on slow heat), add the layer of cheese and cover the pan,. Now heat it on slow for another 10 minutes.
6. Frittatas are best made in a cast iron skillet/ pan, as it is easy to transfer these directly from the hob to the oven. Also cooking in skillet helps distribute the heat evenly and hence cook any dish nicely.
Let get cooking-
Ingredients required to make the Curry masala veggies and ham Frittatas
For making the Egg mixture-
Eggs, milk, salt, grated cheese (any cheese that you have. i use cheddar ), pepper, and chilli powder.
For the Veggies and ham mix-
Onions, baby tomatoes, green beans , salt, pepper, green chillies, curry masala / powder, coriander, ham .
Alternatives you can use for vegetables– In this version i am using green beans. But you can add just one, or a combination of 2-3 vegetables like asparagus, tender stem broccoli, spinach, kale ,mushrooms, spring onion greens, shredded zucchini and the list is endless.
You can add cooked meat of your choice- shredded chicken, bacon go really well with this.i had ham, so i added ham to my frittatas.
Preparing the frittatas
Beat the mixture of the eggs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper, chilli powder vigorously and keep aside.
In the skillet add slices sliced onions, and sauté for a minute. Add the beans , and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Add halved baby tomatoes , and cook till tomatoes shrink. Sprinkle salt, pepper, chilli , curry masala powder, and mix everything. Add sliced ham. Give everything a good mix.
Add a layer of cheese on the cooked vegetables if you prefer. I added cheese at the top.
Top the mix (and cheese if using ) with the eggs mixture. Stir a bit to mix veggies and eggs. Let it cook on slow heat for 4-5 minutes.
Top the half cooked frittatas, with the layer of grated cheese. Sprinkle some curry masala powder on the top of everything.
Preheat the oven at 180 degrees. Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and cook for another 10-12 minutes, till the cheese melts and eggs are all cooked. Take out and check if eggs are done. If not done cook for another 3-4 minutes. Once done, let it rest for 5 minutes and then serve.
These can be had for a nice , filing breakfast, or even for a quick dinner. Leftovers can be easily used the next day. Have it on a slice of toast, and a side of salad for a more filing meal.
I made these for 2 people, so if you are making for more people , you can adjust the number of eggs and other quantities accordingly.
If you try this and like this recipe, please rate it by clicking the stars below. And don’t forget to like , share the recipe and tag us on Instagram or Facebook using #frombowltosoul_ and #frombowltosoul . Please Comment below for any queries, suggestions and ideas .I would love to hear from you.
Join the “From bowl to soul” mailing list to hear more from me
More on the blog
- Quick tuna tacos with creamy mayonnaise dressing
- Super simple chocolate discs recipe
- Sarson ka saag Recipe
- Paneer pakora recipe | Amritsari paneer pakora
- Sauteed potatoes with kale recipe
Curry masala veggie and ham frittatas
- cast iron skillet
For the egg mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp cheese grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- a pinch of red chilli powder
For the veggie and ham mix
- 1 tbsp oil olive oil/ or any cooking oil
- 1 small onion sliced
- 6-8 baby tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup chopped green beans or any veggies of your choice
- 1-2 green chillies chopped
- handful of chopped fresh coriander leaves can use parsley instead
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp curry masala powder
- 1/2 tsp curry masala powder to sprinkle on top
- 1 tbsp grated cheese for topping
- 1/2 cup ham roughly sliced
- Beat the eggs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper, chilli powder mixture and keep aside.
- In the skillet add sliced onions, and sauté for a minute. Add the beans , and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add half cut tomatoes , and cook till tomatoes shrink. Sprinkle salt, pepper, chilli , curry masala powder, and mix everything. Add sliced ham. Mix well.
- If adding cheese at this point, cover the layer of veggies with grated cheese and then add eggs. If not adding cheese here, straightaway top the veggies mix with the eggs mixture. Stir lightly to mix veggies and eggs. Let it cook on slow heat for 4-5 minutes, till the sides start becoming crusty, and eggs are half cooked.
- Top the half cooked frittatas,with the layer of grated cheese. Sprinkle some curry masala powder on the top.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees. Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and cook for another 10-12 minutes. The cheese should melt and eggs should be properly cooked. Take out and check if eggs are done. If not done cook for another 3-4 minutes. Once done, let it rest for 5 minutes and then serve.
- These can be had for a nice , filing breakfast, or even for a quick dinner. Leftovers acn easily be used the next day. Have it on a slice of toast, and a side of salad for a more filing meal
Pin it for later