Rose jam ,pistachios and almond filled filo pastry rolls
Rose jam, pistachios and almond filled filo pastry rolls, have become one of our families favourite desserts. Very quick, simple, easy and versatile. This one is not any traditional dessert, but the rose ,pistachios and almond filled rolls are a great alternative to any traditional mithai/ sweet. The combination of exotic flavours of rose, pistachios and almonds flavours is such a bomb.
All you need is filo pastry sheets, and fillings of your choice. I have only tried sweet fillings, but i’m sure these would be just as great a party snack with some creative savoury fillings.
How I thought about this recipe?
I had been in search for Gulkand (Rose jam, made only with fresh rose petals, and sugar), for a very long time. I am really fond of gulkand. It is a great antioxidant, very rejuvenating, very healthy, and great for digestion. Read out some amazing benefits of having gulkand here. When i was in India, i used to love having a little spoon of Gulkand after meal, to satiate my sweet cravings.
Few days back i came across a lebanese restaurant Comptoir Libanais ,which had a very nice food shop . It had some really exotic spices , jams, sherbets and sweets. I bought a few ingredients, one of which was rose jam.I am not sure if it is same as Gulkand, but in taste it is very very close to it, and the ingredients are also the same – Rose and sugar. The day since i got this, other than having this as my dessert, i am using this in so many new recipes . Its really delicious., and enhances the taste of any dessert it is added to. Have you tried making gulkand milkshake. It tastes divine. One of the recipes that i made using this jam are these filo pastry rolls.
I had a pack of filo pastries at home, and i decided to make these into sweet rolls using the rose jam i bought. As the rose flavour blends in perfectly with pistachios and almonds, i decided to use these as well in the recipe.
I knew my daughter would prefer something with chocolate as a dessert. So i made another set of filo pastry rolls with a classic filling of Nutella and fresh raspberries .The detailed recipe for classic nutella and raspberry filo rolls is here.
I made two different filo pastry desserts, in two different flavours, and gladly both were loved and wiped off the plates in no time.
Making the Filo pastry rolls-
Filo pastry sheets are easily available in the stores. I got mine from Tesco UK, and these were vegan sheets. These are really really thin and delicate sheets of pastry dough, and need to be handled very very carefully.
Also these sheets dry out really quick, so you cannot take out the pastry sheets, and then leave them in open, to prepare other ingredients. What i generally do is take out the sheets once all the ingredients are in place, and just when i am about to start using them. Once the sheets are out, cover them with a damp muslin cloth, so that these do not dry, and then prepare them into rolls.
You would need four pastry sheets to prepare around 12 rolls. I prepared 6 rose ,pistachio ,almond rolls and 6 nutella and raspberry rolls. You can adjust the number of sheets required as per the quantity of the rolls you want.
For the Rose Pistachio filling-
Other than the filo pastry sheets, you would need olive oil, (or any oil to apply to the sheets), almonds , pistachios, granulated sugar ,and rose jam or Gulkand.
Preparing the rolls-
For the Rose Pistachio almond filling-
Grind roughly the almonds, and the pistachios (separately), and keep aside.
1.Take one filo pastry sheet. Brush the olive oil slightly, on one side, and sprinkle the ground almonds and pistachios on the sheet. Sprinkle a t spoon of granulated sugar. Cover this with another pastry sheet. Slightly dab, so that the sheets stick to each other. Brush a little oil. Cut these into 6 equal portions.
2.Now add a teaspoon of rose jam in the center of each portion. Sprinkle Ground pistachios on the rose jam on each portion.
3.Delicately, take one portion at a time, and fold the shorter side. Then roll the long side to form a tube and fold. Pinch the other open side, with two fingers. Prepare all rolls like this.
Baking the Filo pastry rolls-
Once the rolls are ready, brush all rolls with a little olive oil. Place baking paper on the tray, and place the rolls on the paper.
Now keep these in the pre heated oven at 180 degress for 15-18 minutes, till these are nice and golden.
Once done, let these cool. These will be nice and crispy with gooey centre once these cool down. Garnish the rolls with dried rose petals, and pistachios.Serve with a cup of coffee or evening tea, or have these as a dessert after meals. These are also a perfect dessert to go in the packed lunches.
These rolls can be easily stored in an air tight container, for a few days. If it is too hot where you live, store them in the fridge.
If you try this and like this recipe, please rate it by clicking the stars below. And don’t forget to like , share the recipe and tag us on Instagram or Facebook using #frombowltosoul_ and #frombowltosoul . Please Comment below for any queries, suggestions and ideas .I would love to hear from you.
Join the “From bowl to soul” mailing list to hear more from me
More on the blog
- Quick tuna tacos with creamy mayonnaise dressing
- Super simple chocolate discs recipe
- Sarson ka saag Recipe
- Paneer pakora recipe | Amritsari paneer pakora
- Sauteed potatoes with kale recipe
Rose jam, pistachios and almond filo pastry rolls
- 2 filo pastry sheets
- 1 tsp olive il EVOO / or any cooking oil
- 15-18 almonds ground roughly
- 15-18 pistachios ground roughly
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2-3 tbsp rose jam/ gulkand
- dried rose petals for garnishing
- roughly chopped pistachios for garnishing
- Grind roughly the almonds, and the pistachios (separately), and keep aside.
- Take one filo pastry sheet. Brush the olive oil slightly, on one side, and sprinkle the ground almonds and pistachios on the sheet. Sprinkle a t- spoon of granulated sugar.
- Cover this with another pastry sheet. Slightly dab, so that the sheets stick to each other.Brush a little oil. Cut these into 6 equal portions.
- Now add a teaspoon of rose jam in the centre of each portion. Sprinkle Ground pistachios on the rose jam on each portion.
- Delicately, take one portion at a time, and fold the shorter side. Then roll the long side to form a tube and fold. Pinch the other open side, with two fingers. Prepare all rolls like this.
- Once the rolls are ready, brush all rolls with a little olive oil. Place baking paper on the tray, and place the rolls on the paper.
- Keep these in the pre heated oven at 180 degress for 15-18 minutes, till these are nice and golden.
- Once done, let these cool. These will be nice and crispy with gooey centre once these cool down. Garnish the Rose jam pistachio almond rolls with dried rose petals, and pistachios.
Pin it for later– If you wish you try this recipe later, click on any of the pictures to pin the recipe.